Saturday, July 5, 2008

People - Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed

The leader I admire most is of course Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed - the former prime minister (PM) of Malaysia. Nowadays with the Malaysian political senario is gettimg murkier by the moments, I am missing his day of leadership when Malaysia's political and economy was impeccable. He first started as Malaysia's PM in 1981 - that was when I was 6 so I cannot recall his early days of leadership but when the Asian crash in 1997/98 - I was with my first job with McConell Dowell Malaysia - as my bosses as Aussies, the fluctuation of Malaysian ringgit with other currencies capture my interests cz the bosses were directly affected esp. those who received their salary in Ringgit. Though pressured greatly by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the leadership of Dr. M was proven when he took up the pegging of RM to the US thus hampering the damages of the currency speculator during that time. I hate to think what might've happen should Dr. M didn't think out of the box - maybe Malaysia will become like Indonesia and Thailand then (nowadays both country had progressed again esp. Thailand) or maybe our economy would crumpled to the ground.

His achievements include of course the Kuala Lumpur City Centre (KLCC), Putrajaya, KL Sentral.. just to name a few..

Anyway, Tun M - I admire your greatly. Your views and visions are still relevant Tun. For more on Tun's musing esp. of the current Malaysian issues, click here!. For more info - Wikepedia on Tun Mahathir.

No comments: